The Rochester United hockey team skated to a 5-4 win over cross-town rival Stoney Creek on Monday, but the real story was in the backdrop of the game, an outdoor contest at Comerica Park.
The game Monday kicked off a series of prep contests this week on the rink that will be used Dec. 31 for the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs Alumni Showdown doubleheader, the Great Lakes Invitational collegiate hockey tournament and a selection of Ontario Hockey League and American Hockey League matchups.
According to MLive.com, United needed a shootout to cap the 5-4 thriller on the open-air rink in the shadow of the downtown Detroit skyline.
Rochester forward Max Harper tallied the lone goal in the shootout, MLive reported.
St. Clair Shores resident Jim Bullo, director of operations and assistant general manager at Joe Louis Arena, has been helping oversee the construction of the Comerica Park rink, according to St. Clair Shores Patch.
More than a year of planning, and nearly one month of work went into building the rink between first and third base in Comerica Park.
According to ClickonDetroit, events planned at the rink include:
Open Skate Dates & Times
- Tuesday, Dec. 17 :8-8:50 a.m., 9:30-10:20 a.m., 11-11:50 a.m., 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 20: 9-9:50 a.m., 10:30-11:20 a.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 24: 8-8:50 a.m., 9:30-10:20 a.m., 11-11:50 a.m., 12:30-1:20 p.m., 2-2:50 p.m.
Public open skate events are available for purchase in 50-minute increments. Prices are $25 for adults, $15 for kids 14 and under and $5 for non-skaters. Kids 2 and under are free. Fans can bring their own skates or rent skates for $10.
Public open skate tickets are available at the Joe Louis Arena Box Office, at www.DetroitRedWings.com/openskate, or by calling 313-471-7575. Due to on-ice capacity limitations, these sessions are expected to sell out.
Free Detroit Red Wings open practice
The Detroit Red Wings will a practice in Comerica Park at noon, Wednesday, Dec. 18 This practice session is open to the public and free of charge.
College, juniors, minors and alumni games
- Dec. 27-28: Great Lakes Invitational
- Dec. 27: Early game - Michigan State vs. Michigan Tech. Late game - Western Michigan vs. Michigan
- Dec. 28: Early game - third place game. Late game - championship game
- Dec. 29: Ontario Hockey League doubleheader
- 1st Game - Windsor Spitfires vs. Saginaw Spirit (OHL)
- 2nd Game - London Knights vs. Plymouth Whalers (OHL)
- Dec. 30: American Hockey League - Toronto Marlies vs. Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dec. 31: Alumni Showdown, Detroit Red Wings alumni vs. Toronto Maple Leafs alumni (doubleheader with games at 1:30 and 3:30 p.m.)