It's officially October, and the Rochester area knows how to celebrate the Halloween season. Here's a guide to the most popular Halloween and autumn events in our towns. Mark your calendars.
Tunnel of Terror
- When/where: 7:30-10:30 p.m. every Friday and Saturday starting Oct. 5 at Rochester Municipal Park.
- Cost: $15 per person ($5-off coupon available at RochesterAreaJaycees.org)
- Why go: Sponsored by the Rochester Area Jaycees, this haunted house is a must-see to get you in the mood for the season.
RARA Pumpkin Party
- When/where: Oct. 6; 10-noon for 3-6-year-olds; 12:15-1:15 for ages 12-36 months with a caregiver. At RARA Recreation Center. Register at 248-656-8308.
- Cost: $16 for ages 3-6; $13 for agest 12-36 months.
- Why go: Join the RARA staff to decorate pumpkins, make a pumpkin treat and play fall-inspired games.
Trick or Treat Trail
- When/where: 4-6 p.m. Oct. 6 at Bloomer Park.
- Cost: $8 per person.
- Why go: Walk through the trails of Bloomer Park and get treats along the way.
Fall Hoe Down
- When/where: 6:30-9 p.m. Oct. 6 at Bloomer Park.
- Cost: $5
- Why go: Campfire, music and more.
Hitchcock at the Hall
- When/where: 7-10 p.m. Oct. 11, 18, 25; Meadow Brook Hall
- Cost: $35 per person.
- Why go: Dinner and a movie to get you in the mood for Halloween.
Stonewall Pumpkin Festival
- When/where: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Oct. 13 at the Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm.
- Cost: $7 per person.
- Why go: Carve a pumpkin during the day, come back to see the stone wall lighted with the creations at night.
Mystery Dinner at Meadow Brook Hall
- When/where: 7-10 p.m. Oct. 19 at Meadow Brook Hall
- Cost: $75 per person
- Why go: Solve a mystery and have dinner with friends, too.
Tunnel of Terror's Friendly Monster Tour
- When/where: 2-7 p.m. Oct. 20 at Rochester Municipal Park.
- Cost: $2 or two cans of nonperishable food per child (parents are free).
- Why go: If the younger kids are too scared to try the Tunnel of Terror haunted house in the park at night, they can tour it when the lights are on.
- When/Where: 6:20 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Oct. 19 and 20, and 6 p.m.-7:20 p.m. Oct. 21 at Dinosaur Hill Nature Preserve. (You'll need a reservation; groups leave every 10 minutes)
- Cost: $7 per person.
- Why go: There's a trail full of performers waiting in the woods for spectators of Dinosaur Hill.
Halloween Pancake Brunch in the Park
- When/where: 10-noon Oct. 20 at Rochester Community House
- Cost: $7 adults, $4 children
- Why go: Wear your costume as you dine on pancakes and sausages and macaroni and cheese. There are activities and prizes. Call 248-651-0622 for reservations.
Trick-or-Treat and Costume Parade Downtown
- When/where: 4-5:30 p.m. Oct. 20 at participating downtown Rochester businesses. Parade will begin at the corner of Water and E. University streets at 5:15 p.m.
- Cost: Free
- Why go: Watch the streets of downtown Rochester come alive with Halloween creatures.
Final Downtown Farmers Market
- When/where: 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 27 at E. Third and Water streets.
- Cost: Free to attend
- Why go: To get the last of the area's homegrown bounty before winter. Also, children are invited to dress in costume for trick-or-treating.
Scare Away Hunger 5K Race
- When/where: 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28. Check-in begins at 1:30 p.m.; family-friendly activities are planned starting at 2 p.m. Rochester Municipal Park.
- Cost: Free to attend the festival; race registration is $20 students; $25 individuals and $60 per family.
- Why go: The second-annual event raises money for the Rochester Area Neighborhood House, which helps families in the Rochester area.