When Glenn Key this week, he became one of the most sought-after stories in Rochester Hills.
Key, who discovered the "Calvatia Gigantea" on Sunday morning, said he was having fun with the fame.
“It kind of feels like a big, water-saturated Nerf Ball," Key wrote. "We learned that these can be found in early autumn across a wide expanse of the U.S., but they must be quite rare. My brother is a retired wildlife biologist and he was completely unaware of them."
On Tuesday, the day after his story hit Patch, WXYZ came out for a video interview. Stories in The Oakland Press and Detroit Free Press followed.
Later in the week, blogs and news services across the country picked up the story. A country radio station in Daytona Beach told the Keys' story on air under the "Just In Case You Are Wondering" section. And a blog called "Doubtful News" posted the story under the headline: "Slice It Up and Saute it in Butter"
Here's are links to the stories about the mushroom, which put Rochester Hills on the map this week:
- The Oakland Press: Giant Mushroom Sprouts in Rochester Hills Yard.
- UPI: Odd News: Large Blog Identified as Mushroom
- Detroit Free Press: Backyard blob surprises Rochester Hills family, turns out to be mushroom
- Wierd World News: Large Blog in Yard Identified as Mushroom
- WXYZ: Giant Puffball Mushroom Found in Rochester Hills.
In the meantime, others offered up photos of their mushroom discoveries. The Mir family of Rochester Hills shared their photos of a duo of giant mushrooms that they discovered.