Today is Veterans Day — a day dedicated to thanking the men and women who have served in the military. Here are a few things to know in Rochester.
- Today is a U.S. Postal Service holiday; there will be no mail.
- Today is also a bank holiday; most banks are closed.
- The and offices are open.
- Rochester Community Schools are in session.
- Most shops and restaurants are open; some may even be offering special discounts or sevices for veterans.
- The is closed today — not necessarily for Veterans Day but for a staff in-service. It will reopen at 9 a.m. Saturday.
- The city of Rochester Hills will commemorate Veterans Day with a ceremony at 11 a.m. at , the park at the corner of Avon and Livernois. The ceremony will feature an appearance by General William Hartzog, a four-star U.S. Army general.
- Later today, Hartzog will visit with residents of in Rochester Hills; his mother-in-law is a resident of the senior living center.
- The will be celebrating Veterans Day by hosting a book launch for Rochester Hills’ resident Joann Puffer Kotcher's book Donut Dolly: An American Red Cross Girl’s War in Vietnam. The book tells of Kotcher's adventures during the war — she was one of the first women officially allowed into the combat zone. The event will begin at 7 p.m.; admission is free and refreshments are provided. RSVPs are appreciated at 248.656.4663