Where there's a crowd these days, there's likely to be a flash mob.
And where there's a flash mob, well, there's likely to be a camera capturing the song and dance.
A flash mob is a group of people who gather in public, suddenly, to perform a song or dance or another random (but coordinated) act. As quickly as they come together, they then disperse.
Patch has been lucky enough to have been tipped off to several such flash mobs over the past several months.
Here, we've compiled videos of some of our favorites. Have you been involved in a flash mob? Upload a video here and share it with Patch readers. Are you planning a flash mob? Let your local Patch editor know (our email addresses are at the top of this page).
Until then, here's a little flash mob inspiration. Read through the stories below — or scroll through the videos above.
- In Fenton, the performs at the town's Applefest. "It was really hard trying not to tell your friends about it," said dancer Marissa Bellinger.
- : This was the flash mob that wasn't: mall security tells participants in a nursing mom flash mob that they can't flash mob there — and that they can't breastfeed in public, either.
- : In an effort to give their spring musical, Hairspray, some publicity, 35 or so students perform on a busy street corner in Grosse Pointe.
- A flash mob, performed by dancers from , was among the highlights of the annual tree-lighting ceremony in the city.
- : Group rushes the streets of downtown Plymouth to perform choreographed dance at Green Street Fair.
- L. Brooks Patterson helps kick off the Brooksie Way Middle School Challenge in Rochester Hills with a little flash mob instruction.
- Talmer Bank & Trust employees break out into dance at the Battle of the Bands during the Village's Back 2 School Bash.
- The band gets musical inside the library as part of a "Take it to the Streets" initiative to help support local music programs.
- : Street performers assemble in downtown Wyandotte for the city's first .
- Students in Dearborn dance to Katy Perry's "Firework" to promote acceptance of their peers.
- The Center Stage Dance company performs its first flash mob in downtown Northville.
- Singers and dancers from Macomb and Clinton townships turn up at The Village of Rochester Hills Mall to perform to a hip-hop version of All I Want for Christmas is You.