Have a favorite author? You can now receive a text message alert when your favorite local library receives a new book that he or she has written.
The Rochester Hills Public Library announced this week its newest service, Author Alerts, which sends an email or text message alert to patrons when RHPL orders a new book by their favorite authors.
“We think our library customers will really appreciate receiving up-to-the minute alerts about new books that are added to our collection,” stated Library Director Christine Hage. “It’s also a great way to make sure that library users don’t miss new books by authors they love who don't appear on bestseller lists.
"Patrons often have no reliable way of finding new titles by less popular authors without frequently checking the library’s catalog."
Here's how it works:
- To use the service, patrons should visit www.rhpl.org/explore/authoralerts to sign up for an account.
- After registering with an email address or cell phone number, patrons use a simple online form to enter the names of their favorite authors or performers.
- When a new title is ordered by the library, Author Alerts! sends an email or text message to the patron.
- Notifications are sent as soon as a new item has been ordered by a librarian.
- Email messages include more detail about the title and a direct link to the RHPL’s online catalog, where a patron can immediately place a hold on a new item.
In addition to authors, patrons can place alerts on performers, musical groups, and film studios by typing the name in the “last name” box. Library users can set up an unlimited amount of alerts.
“I’ve received countless requests from customers asking for a service like this. We were so excited to finally find a company that provides this service in an extremely easy-to-use package” said Adult Service Manager Rebekah Craft.
To receive a hands-on introduction to Author Alerts, Craft encourages library users to visit the second floor reference desk to have a librarian demonstrate the service.