It's not too late.
Really, it's not.
If you're stopping by dad's house this afternoon, there's still time to bring him something other than a gift card.
And if you don't have a single thing planned to celebrate, there are a few things you can do with little effort around town.
So here you go
Things to do
A movie. We doubt he'd want to see Bridesmaids or Midnight in Paris. But the other flicks showing at today could make him smile. Green Lantern shows at 11:05 a.m., 1:45, 4:25, 7:05, and 9:45 p.m.; Pirates of the Caribbean shows at 10:20 a.m. and 9 p.m.; Mr. Popper's Penguins shows at 10:20 a.m., noon, 2:20, 4:4o, 7 and 9:20 p.m.
The park. Check out our guide to parks in Rochester and Rochester Hills and choose one that works for what you want to do.
A ball game. There's a fastpitch softball tournament in town today, and one of its planners calls it the "perfect daddy-daughter outing." It's hosted by the all day.
Take him to play. Rochester Play downtown is offering half-off entry fees and a free coffee for dad. The TVs will be showing the U.S. Open and the Detroit Tigers.
Let him eat cupcakes. Rockin' Cupcakes is offering a special "Come to Papa" treat made with rum and Coke. It's a whoopie pie and comes with a custom DAD chocolate mold on top. The cupcake shop is open from 11 to 6 today.
Taste wine. Rochester Patch reader Joshua Raymond had this suggestion for a Father's Day thing-to-do: "Sample wines with him at or buy a bottle of his favorite at . It's hard to miss with a Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Explore the Paint Creek or Clinton River trails. According to the National Weather Service, the skies were to be partly sunny with a high near 79. Add to that a breeze and it's the ideal atmosphere for walking or biking.
Gifts to buy
Last week, our "Around Town" columnist, Laura Cassar, .
And while it's too late to shop at some of the downtown shops she mentioned (many are closed on Sundays) we'll remind you of the potential gifts you CAN still pick up:
- 1001 Golf Holes You Must Play Before You Die at . The downtown shop is open from 12-5 Sunday.
- The Oscar-nominated western True Grit, on DVD and Blu-ray at or Meijer.
- The ProToast, which is toaster that toasts your team's logo onto your bread. It's at and available in Tigers, Red Wings, University of Michigan and Michigan State for $29.99. (Think Father's Day breakfast in bed).
And because Around Town Laura's mind never stops spinning, we picked her brain and came up with these bonus ideas:
- Music: Eddie Vedder's Ukulele Songs.
- Reading: Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales.
- Beer: Buy your dad (or your kids' dad) a gift certificate to the "Mug Club." It's $35 and you get a mug (held at the brewery) and a discount when you come in for beer.
Happy Father's Day!