There are bake sales. And then there's downtown Rochester's Great American Bake Sale.
From 8 a.m. to noon today, 400 dozen cupcakes, cookies, muffins and other baked goods will be for sale in the parking lot near the Downtown Farmers' Market at Third and Water streets. The items have been baked by members of the community, and all proceeds from the sale will benefit Share Our Strength, a nonprofit group that aims to end childhood hunger in America by 2015. Most items are priced $1-$5.
This is the second year for the bake sale; last year's sale raised more than $3,000 for the charity.
Rochester's Downtown Development Authority director Kristi Trevarrow came up with the idea for the sale last year. "We do a lot in this community to drive dollars toward causes, and it just struck me that we can do more than that — we can make such an impact with an event like this," she told Patch last year.
In addition to the variety of baked goods that will be available, the following family-friendly activities will be offered:
- Kids’ Cupcake Decoration Station, Sponsored by Rockin Cupcakes: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Kids’ Cupcake Walk ($1 per walk): 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.
- Chef’s Hat Decorating with PCCA: 9 a.m.–12 p.m.
- Shelby’s Cake Decorating Demo: 10 a.m.–11 a.m.
- Story time with RHPL: 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m.
- Royal Park Hotel Pastry Chef Demo: 11 a.m.–12 p.m.
Rochester’s Great American Bake Sale is also sponsored by ES3, Penn Station East Coast Subs and the Rochester DDA.