A cash mob with a twist is about to have a pilot run in our construction-filled downtown.
Independence Innovations, a Rochester-based business incubator, is inviting shoppers to descend upon downtown Rochester on June 21 for five and a half hours of spending — and fun.
David Spencer, the company's director, said the cash mob's purpose is to provide "extreme coupon bargains" for shoppers and a cash stimulus support for downtown businesses.
Cash mobs normally invite shoppers to one particular business for a short amount of time. Rochester's cash mob will involve several of the businesses and will happen from 2 to 7:30 p.m.
Here's how it will work:
- Shoppers will sign up to receive text message coupons every 30 minutes during the time of the cash mob. They'll move from store to store to get the bargains.
- At each shop, they'll show the message on their phone to get in on the deal.
- An "afterglow" party at will allow shoppers to show off their purchases; those who spend at least $50 downtown during the day will be entered into a drawing for door prizes.
To participate in the cash mob, merchants will pay a $50 fee.
“We believe that this is one of the very first cash mobs anywhere in the country to use a shopper’s mobile or smart phone for text message advertising, special bargains and cost saving coupons that move the mob from store-to-store," Spencer said.
"This is a unique and convenient way for mob shoppers to search for special promotions with text messages promoting several merchants in the Rochester principal shopping district in one afternoon.”
Spencer said if the program is successful, he and his company will market it to other downtowns.
PocketCents and TextRipple, two southeast Michigan digital media companies, will help with the technology aspect of the event. The OU Branch of the MSU Federal Credit Union, The Cupcake Station and Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber are sponsors of the event.
Businesses are signing up now; , , F, and are among the businesses that so far have agreed to participate and offer extreme coupons.
Here's how to sign up:
- Like Rochester Cash Mob on Facebook.
- Send a text message to 411669 with the words "RochCashMob." You will receive a message back, instantly, confirming you are registered to receive the text message coupon deals.
- Scan the QR code attached to this story. You will need to submit your name, email and mobile number to participate.
Then, on June 21, all that's left is to show up from 2 to 7:30 p.m. and shop! You will be alerted via text message of the special deals at each downtown location.
Are you a business wanting to participate or learn more? Call coordinator Nancy Caldwell at 248-453-5613 or send an email to email@example.com.