Two more frozen yogurt shops are set to join the competitive frozen yogurt market in the Rochester area this spring.
The two shops will join these shops that are open or in the works in Rochester and Rochester Hills right now:
- Sweet Island Yogurt: Bill Brandreth and Larry Winkelmann opened owntown Rochester's only frozen yogurt shop last year.
- Bloomberry Yogurt: It's located in the Papa Joe's plaza at Rochester and Tienken roads.
- Yummie Yogurt: It's in the works at the Village of Rochester Hills this summer. Yummie Yogurt is a family-owned shop based in Farmington Hills.
- Yogurt City Frozen Yogurt: This shop is opening soon in the Target plaza on Rochester Road. It's one of five Michigan locations for the national yogurt shop planned this year.
- TCBY: It's name implies it's "The Country's Best Yogurt." It is located in the Hollywood Market plaza at the corner of Tienken and Rochester roads.
Coolyo Frozen Yogurt will open in the Buddy's Plaza across from Oakland University in the spring. It will feature 14 flavors and a toppings bar.
Co-owners Cheryl Gudobba and Jean Washington (an OU alum) have been friends for more than 10 years; they call themselves health-conscious moms of teen-agers, so their shop will feature non-fat Greek yogurt, among the selections.
“We want Coolyo Frozen Yogurt to be a place where people can come and take a break from their busy day, and have a healthy snack in a positive, fun, clean environment," the co-owners stated in a press release.
Orange Leaf, based in Oklahoma City, will open in the plaza anchored by Big Boy and Bar Louie. With 229 stores open nationwide, Orange Leaf calls itself "one of the most demanded brands in our industry." More than 100 shops are opening soon, including a second Michigan location on Crooks Road in Troy.
Have you tried any of the soft-serve frozen yogurt shops? Which one is your favorite?