Your Guide to Summer Construction Around Rochester
Here's an update on the obvious ones — Avon Bridge, Downtown's Main Street — and a look at what other construction projects are planned for Rochester and Rochester Hills.
Here is a look at the major construction projects planned for Rochester and Rochester Hills this summer.
- What's involved: The total replacement of the bridge over the Clinton River. All but two lanes of the bridge have been closed since February 2011 when a county bridge inspection deemed the bridge in an advanced deteriorating condition.
- Started: February.
- Expected end: The bridge is expected to reopen in mid-July.
- Detour: From the west, take Livernois Road to Walton Boulevard (to go North) or Livernois Road to Hamlin Road (to go south). From the east, take Rochester Road to Hamlin Road to Livernois Road.
- What's involved: The total replacement of the bridge over the Clinton River. All but two lanes of the bridge have been closed since 2011 when a county bridge inspection deemed the bridge in an advanced deteriorating condition.
- Expected start: Mid-July.
- Expected end: Sometime in the fall.
- Detour: The Livernois Bridge will not close until the Avon Bridge at the same intersection reopens. The detour will likely take motorists down Avon Road or Hamlin Road and out to Rochester Road.
- What's involved: In a major project called the Main Street Makeover, the downtown Rochester portion of Rochester Road is being rebuilt from Second Street to University. Currently, that portion of Rochester Road is closed in both directions.
- Started: April.
- Expected end: The road is expected to reopen in mid-July. However, the streetscape portion of the project will likely last until fall.
- Detour: University Drive to Walnut Street to Second Street to Water Street to Olde Towne Road near the Rochester Hills Public Library.
- What's involved: The widening of the road from Starr-Batt Drive to just north of the Hamlin Road intersection from three lanes to five lanes, including a continuous center left-turn lane. Some concrete curbs and storm sewers will be added, and a pedestrian pathway will be constructed where needed to fill in gaps in the existing pathway.
- Expected start: Early August.
- Ending: Sometime in the fall.
- Detour: The most likely route to bypass Crooks Road would be Livernois Road, which also runs north-south in the city. But the two roads will likely be under construction at the same time.
I-75 north of Rochester
- What's involved: Extensive pavement repairs will be made during off-peak hours on 9 miles of northbound and southbound I-75, between M-15 (Ortonville Road) and Giddings Road.
- Expected start date: Next Monday, June 25.
- Expected end date: Mid-September
- Details: Expect lane closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday. On weekends, multiple northbound lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 2 p.m. Saturday, with a single lane closed until 4 p.m. Sunday. Multiple southbound lanes will be closed from 8 p.m. Friday until 2 p.m. Saturday, with a single lane closed until 2 p.m. Sunday.