School's Out in One Month: Here are 10 Summer Camps You Can Sign Up for Today
Rochester Schools are done for the summer on June 15. What are your kids going to do?
The countdown is on: one month until summer vacation. Before you panic, we've put together a list of 10 summer camp possibilities. Share your summer camp ideas in the comments, too.
- Meadow Brook Writing Project: Kids can get inspiration for their poetry and short stories inside Rochester's castle — Meadow Brook Hall. Writing camps are for grades kindergarten and up; for details visit www.oakland.edu/youthwritingcamps
- Rochester Avon Recreation Authority: Download RARA's summer program brochure here. It offers everything from weeklong day camps to dance, art, sports and music. Visit www.rararecreation.org
- Rochester Community Schools Enrichment: Take classes in everything from karate and art to swimming through Rochester Community Schools; most classes and camps are held on school grounds. To download a brochure, visit www.rochester.k12.mi.us/pages/361/enrichment
- Dinosaur Hill Nature Preserve. If your kids like nature and exploring, the classes and camps at the Rochester nature center are just thing. To learn about the programs, stop in at the nature center or visit www.dinosaurhill.org and sign up for the email newsletter.
- Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm: The popular museum offers "Terrific Tuesdays" (for kids and parents, too) and a "Little House by the Creek" day camp. For details, call the museum at 248.656.4663.
- Avon Players: The Rochester theater has an annual summer youth production; this year it's "School House Rock Live." For details on audtions (they are June 18) and the performances, visit www.avonplayers.org.
- Music: Both School of Rock and Rochester Musician's Academy in downtown Rochester offer summer classes.
- Spring Hill Day Camps: There are two Rochester Hills locations this year for the weeklong day camp for kids. Both camps are in August. For more information, visit www.springhillcamps.com and click on "Michigan."
- Lake Norcentra Basketball Camp: The popular camp at Rochester College is entering its 32nd year. It's coached by retired Rochester College coach Garth Pleasant and his son, Rochester High School coach John Pleasant. It's for boys and girls ages 6-16.
- Upland Hills Farm: Kids can catch frogs, ride horses and take care of farm animals at this day camp in Oxford. Visit www.uplandhillsfarm.com/summerdaycamp.html