Halloween— it's not just for kids anymore.
Ten downtown Rochester bars are hosting a Halloween Pub Crawl and Costume Contests this Saturday night from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. There is no cover for this event.
The event is called Nightmare on Main Street and O'Connor's Public House general manager Alexis Zuccaro said she is hoping it makes Rochester "the Halloween destination."
Treats, the best kind
All 10 bars will be handing out treats but here's the trick: you need a special bag in order to receive them.
The empty treat bags cost $3 with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the Rochester Area Neighborhood House. The bags can be purchased now at any of the participating bars.
Then Saturday night the bags will be filled at each bar with goodies from local businesses and party sponsors. Participating businesses include Trekt, Moon River Soap Company, Sweet Island Yogurt, Simply the Best $10 Boutique and Lucido's.
The Costume Contest is also a crawl. Each bar will award a "Best" winner of a specific theme at a certain time:
- 9-9:30 p.m. Paint Creek Tavern will award The Best Men/Women in Uniform while Rochester Mills will award The Best Couple.
- 9:30-10 p.m. Limelight will award The Best Pirate and Rojo will award The Best Historical Costume.
- 10-10:30 p.m. O'Connor's Public House will award The Best Creature of the Night and Mr. B's will award The Most Humorous Costume.
- 10:30- 11 p.m. Main Street Billiard will award The Best Group Costume and The Vault will award Best Sci Fi.
- 11-11:30 Fuse will award The Best TV/Movie Character costume and Penny Black will award The Best Super Hero/Villain.
After 11:30 p.m. expect the party to keep going, Zuccaro said. "The bars will be open until 2 a.m. and we're hoping everyone ends up at their favorite one."
Most bars will have live music and, of course, the World Series on television. There will be drink specials, free swag and giveaways.
If you want to make it an overnight event, The Royal Park is offering a special package for Nightmare on Main Street. It includes a king suite for $159 with a $25 downtown Rochester gift card and martinis and cheese for two in their lounge.