Engines Galore! Michigan's Largest Model Train Show Coming To Town
It's free for children 12 and under this Sunday at Avondale High School.
Nearly 400 tables of trains and tracks and railroad memorabilia will make this weekend's "A Train" show at Avondale High School the biggest model train show in the state.
Thousands of children and adults are expected to see the show, which runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. It's free for children 12 and under; adults are $3.
Frank Lams, Avondale’s Assistant Superintendent for Administrative Services and a train hobbyist, coordinates the "A Train" show each year.
The show features train rides for the kids by Dan Dan the Choo Choo Man and a presentation of the feature movie, Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends Blue Mountain Mystery in the high school’s auditorium.
"This event continues to be the biggest and best model railroad show in the state,” Lams stated. “We offer a number of family oriented activities including contests, door prizes and a full length movie for one low price. Come on over and enjoy a great day without spending a lot."
Proceeds from the show and from refreshments sold during the event benefit the Avondale Education Foundation. Last year's show raised $11,320 for the foundation.
If you go
- What: "A Train" show featuring more than 385 tables filled with model railroad and related railroad memorabilia.
- When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Avondale High School, 2800 Waukegan, Auburn Hills
- Cost: $3 for adults; kids 12 and under are free
- Parking: Available on site at Avondale High School; new this year, shuttle rides will also be available from two locations: the Boys and Girls Club of Auburn Hills on Squirrel and Waukegan and in the Auburn Hills municipal lot on the NW corner of Squirrel and Auburn in downtown Auburn Hills.
- Feature Movie - 1 pm: Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends Blue Mountain Mystery shown in Avondale High School Auditorium; run time is 62 minutes.
- Questions: Contact Frank Lams at 248.537.6008 or Tim Pagel at 248.589.9028; or visit http://www.avondale.k12.mi.us