Avondale School District Announces New Contract with Avondale Education Association
Teacher Concessions Help Keep District Focused on Achievement and Deficit Elimination:
Avondale School District, an achievement-oriented learning community focused on student leadership and success in academics, the arts and athletics, announces an agreement has been reached with the Avondale Education Association (AEA) that keeps the district focused on achievement and assists in continuing its ongoing deficit reduction plan.
Highlights of the new contract, which runs through the end of the 2012-2013 school year, follow:
- Collaboratively bargained a 1-year pay freeze extension (no steps, no salary increase) for the 2012-2013 school year; moreover, all teachers will take an additional 4.25%pay reduction plus 5.125 furlough days for a total compensation reduction of 8.5% since the 2010-2011 school year.
- AEA members covered by the district’s health care plan will continue their level of contribution at 20% of the premium (for health insurance only) on a pre-tax basis
- Extracurricular compensation (e.g. for coaching and club sponsors) will decrease by 10%
- Longevity pay for teachers in the district 18 years or more is suspended
- The number of furlough days (5.125) may be reduced based on increased enrollment
Avondale Superintendent Dr. George Heitsch expressed thanks to the Avondale teachers for their flexibility in meeting the needs of the district and the students.
“The administration and the Avondale School Board are grateful for the ongoing support of our teachers in working to re-establish a financially sound district that puts our kids first.”
Avondale School District is a collaborative community of teachers, staff and families working together to assure student success. The district, encompassing portions of Auburn Hills, Bloomfield Township, Troy and Rochester Hills, celebrates the richness of a diverse student population and strives to be a model school community that prepares students to be lifelong learners and contributing citizens to the world that awaits them upon graduation. Learn more about Avondale Schools, an AdvancED certified district, at www.avondale.k12.mi.us.